Rich and delicious Italian specialty
Write a review
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 1/2 T sugar, divided
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 oz. espresso or double strong coffee, combined with 1 T sugar, cooled
- 1 T dark rum
- 24 pack ladyfingers
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate shavings
- cocoa for sprinkling
- Using the whisk attachment of your mixer,beat the egg yolks and sugar together until thick and pale, reduce speed and add the mascarpone cheese and vanilla until well combined. Add 1 1/2 T espresso mixture to the cheese mixture and set aside.
- In a shallow dish, combine the remaining espresso and rum. Dip each ladyfinger into the liquid for just a few seconds and place in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Next layer 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers, then another layer of soaked ladyfingers, then the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the top with cocoa and chocolate shavings. Serve chilled.
- Use caution when consuming raw eggs due to the risk of salmonella. Use only the freshest grade A eggs with intact shells.
- You may omit the rum and use rum extract if you prefer not to use alcohol.
Robin Shea http://www.robinshea.com/