Delicious and hearty, perfectly seasoned meatless burgers.
Write a review
- 1-10 oz. bag or box of frozen chopped spinach, drain & squeeze dry
- 1 large egg and 4 egg whites, mixed together
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 Tbsp. minced red bell pepper
- 1/3-cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsps. wheat germ
- 1 tsp Greek style seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Mix all ingredients into a bowl and form 4 patties .
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet and cook the burgers on each side until crispy and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve in a pita with Taziki sauce and cucumber slices or on a burger bun with low fat mayo, lettuce and tomato.
- Healthy changes and substitutions: Added wheat germ for extra texture and nutrition without adding meat . Substituted most of the whole egg with egg whites . Reduced the amount of cheese and made it feta for a big flavor boost without all the fat.
- Cooking Tips *Be sure to drain the spinach really well so the burgers crisp up *Take care not to heat the olive oil to the smoking point, as it will degrade the beneficial qualities of the olive oil. *Double the recipe and freeze half the patties for a quick meal
- Nutritional Facts *Spinach is very low in calories and contains about 25% of the RDA of iron per serving, iron is a trace element that is required by the body for red blood cell production. *Spinach is a very rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin- K, a vitamin that plays a vital role in strengthening bones.
- Wheat germ contains several essential nutrients such as Vitamin E, folate, zinc and magnesium. It is also a good source of fiber.
Robin Shea http://www.robinshea.com/