Pastry with Chocolate Ganache, Berries and Cream
A wonderful, tempting pastry dessert.
Write a review
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups fresh seasonal berries
- 2 T orange liqueur
- 2 T sugar, divided
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 pint whipping cream, divided
- 1 T. dark rum
- mint leaves for garnish
- Cut the pastry sheet into 8 squares and bake according to package directions until puffy and golden, let cool.
- Mix the berries with the liqueur and 2 tsp of the sugar, cover and chill.
- Whip 1 cup of the whipping cream with the remaining sugar and whip until soft peaks form, cover and chill.
- Place the chocolate in a glass bowl. In a small sauce pan, heat the cream just to a boil and carefully pour over the chocolate. Whisk until smooth and add the rum, whisk again. Let the ganache cool slightly but keep it warm.
- Assemble the dessert by placing one layer of the pastry on each plate and drizzling with 2 T. each of the chocolate, and a dollop of the cream, repeat these layers then top with the berries or serve on the side, garnish with mint sprig.
- You can make the ganache ahead of time and reheat in the microwave in short bursts when you are ready to assemble the dessert.
- You can substitute the orange liqueur with orange juice if you prefer.
- You can substitute the rum in the ganache with espresso and/or 1 tsp of vanilla.
Robin Shea http://www.robinshea.com/