Mole Roasted Chicken
A spicy flavorful chicken.
Write a review
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 3 ancho chilies in paste
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1 T olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4- 6 oz-boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 T toasted sesame seeds
- Simmer the enchilada sauce and the next 7 ingredients in a sauce pan for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- In a heavy,oven proof skillet, heat the olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and sauté lightly on each side until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Add the mole to the pan and coat the chicken well. Cover the skillet with foil or a lid and bake for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with tortillas or rice.
- You can increase the amount of raisins if you prefer a sweeter mole sauce.
- You can adjust the heat in this dish by adding more or fewer ancho chilies, they have a slow heat that can sneak up on you!
- You can use bitter sweet chocolate in this recipe if you don’t have any unsweetened on hand, it will just be a bit sweeter.
- You can use chicken on the bone or even half chickens if you prefer, you will need to add cook time to assure they are cooked through.
Robin Shea http://www.robinshea.com/