Lemon Garlic Broccoli Rabe or Rapini
Write a review
- 1 lb. broccoli rabe or broccoli, washed and trimmed
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- zest of 1 lemon plus 1 T lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, add all ingredients except the lemon zest, juice, salt and pepper, bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover tightly to steam the broccoli for about 5 minutes or until just tender.
- Uncover the pan and return the pan to high, reducing the liquid by half, add the lemon zest, juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
- ***Healthy Substitutions
- Using chicken stock to steam the broccoli adds an abundance of flavor with very little fat.
- Fresh lemon juice as well as the zest really boost the flavor of dishes and eliminates the need for additional salt.
- ***Cooking tips
- Look for tightly clustered, firm broccoli heads for the best quality.
- Taking the time to peel the tough portion of broccoli stalks makes for a more tender dish while preserving much of the vegetable that often gets discarded.
- Be sure to zest any citrus before cutting or juicing, it is very difficult to remove the zest after you have cut the fruit. Also, invest in a good microplane grater for your kitchen, it will last forever and makes easy work of zesting citrus and grating hard cheeses.
- ***Nutritional facts
- Broccoli has a positive impact on our body’s detoxification system due to the special combination of phytonutrients found in this vegetable.
- Broccoli has high levels of both vitamin K and vitamin A which help with the absorption of vitamin D. This is particularly helpful since vitamin D deficiency is a growing problem.
- Steamed broccoli actually has some health benefits over raw broccoli, the steaming process helps to boost it’s cholesterol-lowering abilities.
Robin Shea http://www.robinshea.com/