Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
Write a review
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups self rising cornmeal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 T minced jalapeño
- 3 scallions chopped, green and white parts
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Swirl the vegetable oil in a 10” cast iron skillet and place in the oven to heat just to the smoking point.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cornmeal, eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and creamed corn until just combined. Add up to an additional 1/2 cup of buttermilk if the batter seems too dry.
- Fold in the cheese, jalapeño and scallions.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and pour in the batter. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- The heating and coating of oil in the skillet prior to cooking the cornbread creates a crispy crust on the cornbread.
- A well-seasoned cast iron skillet is a must in every kitchen, it is the original non-stick pan. Never clean your skillet with soap but rather hot water and a gentle scrubber if necessary. Wipe your skillet dry before storing.
Robin Shea http://www.robinshea.com/