Hurricane Fruit Salad
Great twist on a fruit salad!
Write a review
- 1/2 cup Passion Fruit juice or Apricot nectar (check the latin foods section of the grocery store)
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon dark spiced rum
- 2 Tablespoons Agave nectar
- 2 cups fresh pineapple cut into 1” pieces
- 2 cups strawberries, hulls removed and cut in half
- 2 oranges, peeled/supremed, and cut into 1” pieces
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup green grapes cut in half
- 2 whole bananas, ripe but firm, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- 1 lime cut into wheels for garnish
- In a small bowl mix together the first 4 ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all fruit with the exception of the banana; pour the passion fruit mixture over the fruit and toss gently.
- Right before serving, add the bananas and toss to coat; Garnish with lime slices.
- This recipe is dedicated to The Bartlet First Responders Monument. Much Love, Robin xo
- ***Healthy changes and substitutions: 1. We have used Agave nectar instead of sugar in this recipe
- 2. We cut the rum in half
- ****Cooking Tips 1. To “supreme” an orange, is a great skill to learn. This technique refers to the process of completely removing all the pith and membrane sections from the orange. The easiest way to do this is to cut the top and bottoms off a orange, with a sharp knife, remove the peel and pith from the outside of the orange. Once that is done, hold the orange in your palm and making cuts along each membrane section, remove the pulp in tact. You can do this with any citrus fruit and with a little practice you will be a pro. 2. If you want to make this salad ahead of time, you can cut up all but the fruit but the banana and then add the passion fruit mixture and banana at the end. 3. For a fun presentation, you can skewer the fruit pieces on a bamboo skewer .
- ****Nutritional Facts 1. Pineapple is useful in treating nausea including morning and motion sickness. a. Pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme called Bromelain, which helps in the digestion of protein and is also helpful in preventing blood clots. b. Pineapple is a great source of vitamin C ,which offers you excellent protection against free-radicals, substances that attach healthy cell. This is also true of oranges, limes and other citrus fruits. 2. Bananas contain tryptophan, an amino acid that can be converted to serotonin. Serotonin is thought to be a contributor to feelings of happiness and well being. a. Bananas are also a great source of Potassium, which is very important to keep your muscles working to their optimum during a workout. 3. Grapes contain Resveratrol, a nutrient that has been shown to be effective in treating and preventing cancer. There is also some scientific data that suggest the nutrients in grapes might be able to encourage brain health and delay neurodegenerative diseases.
Robin Shea http://www.robinshea.com/