Salty, crunchy, flavorful snack. Perfect in salads or all by the handful!
Write a review
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Blot the chickpeas to remove excess moisture and toss in a bowl with the other ingredients to coat the peas.
- Spread the peas on a cookie sheet and bake for about 25-30 minutes, stirring once or twice until they are evenly browned and crunchy.
- Serve these warm or room temperature, they can be stored at room temperature for about 2 days.
- *Nutritional facts*
- 1. When served with complex or whole grains, chickpeas are a complete protein and therefore a great choice for vegetarians or meatless meals.
- 2. 1 cup of chickpeas contain the same amount of potassium as a small banana.
- 3. Chickpeas are a good source of fiber, protein, folic acid and manganese. Manganese is a trace mineral that not many of us are familiar with, it helps the body form connective tissue, bones & blood clotting factors. It also is important for normal brain and nerve function.
- **Cooking tips**
- 1. Starting with dried chickpeas is wonderful if you have the time but the canned varieties are really good and work great for most any recipe. Just be sure to rinse all canned beans to lower the sodium level present in most canned beans, or choose low sodium varieties if available.
- 2. These crunchy snacks are also wonderful in a green salad for a much more nutritious alternative to croutons.
- 3. Try chickpeas where you would use other types of beans in soups for a tasty nutritious variety.
- 4. The spice combinations are endless with this great healthy snack. Try this variation for an Italian flavor: Substitute the curry, red pepper and cardamom for 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder.
Robin Shea http://www.robinshea.com/