Apple Cherry Campfire Pies
A fun campfire dessert!
Write a review
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup apple pie filling
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 T sugar
- 1/2 Tsp cinnamon
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 T butter, softened
- One or more pudgy pie pans
- You will need a campfire or hot grill.
- Mix the apple pie filling, cherries, allspice and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a separate bowl.
- Spray the pie pan with the cooking spray. Butter one slice of bread and place it butter side down into the mold, spoon about 3 T of the filling into the center of the bread. Butter a second piece of bread and top the filling , butter side up. Close up the mold and place over a hot fire for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the mold and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mix.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Take care to let the pies cool sufficiently before biting into them to avoid burning your mouth.
- You can use many other fruit combos such as blueberry with dried currents or peaches with dried cranberries.
- Make sure to use a dense, moist bread and spray the mold well to avoid a stuck on mess.
- Pudgy Pie Pans are easily available at hardware stores in the camping supply section or online.
Robin Shea http://www.robinshea.com/