80/20 Living 101
While my online course, 80/20: The DIETless Diet provides a comprehensive, step-by-step plan-of-action regarding all facets of my 80/20 Healthy Lifestyle Transformation system (80/20 Clean Eating, Journal, Factor In Your Fitness, Identifying Your Support System, Managing Expectations, Enjoying Life’s 20%), here is an overview to help you determine if The 80/20 Lifestyle is right for you.
The most commonly asked question I receive is, “How many 20% Indulgent Meals do I get a week?” The answer varies based on whether you want to amp it up and lose weight quickly, slow it down and lose weight at a steady pace, or just increase the quality of your nutrition and maintain your current weight. In my book, The 80/20 Lifestyle Diet: 28-Days to a Total Healthy Lifestyle Transformation, I provide several options based on the above considerations. Your only job is to determine the best option for you. At different times in your life you may feel it necessary to adjust your plan; I encourage movement between the options as needed to achieve your desired result. Adapting this fluid approach further supports a lifestyle that will last a lifetime.
Here is a snapshot of the options available in the plan:
One Final Note
There you have it, the grid of The 80/20 Lifestyle! After 12 years and well over 10,000 hours of intense research, study, trial, error and celebration the foundation of Healthy Lifestyle Reinvention, The 80/20 Lifestyle!
So, don’t be afraid to START OVER, go back to the basics, the beginning and build a new relationship with food and fitness; a relationship that will serve your body nutritionally, and your spirit emotionally.
The most important aspect of reinventing your relationship with food is learning to choose quality food over filler food. The 80/20 Lifestyle does not focus on macro or micro nutrient consumption until phase three of the plan. We spend the first two phases understanding our habits, our current consumption, and preparing our toolbox to help us in challenging situations. So, providing this information prior to phase one and two might be a little overwhelming for some.
Just remember, there’s no one-size-fits-all approach; the number of calories and types of nutrients (both macronutrients and micronutrients) each person requires daily will vary greatly based on goals and objectives. The 80/20 Lifestyle Diet: A 28 Day Guide to Total Healthy Lifestyle Transformation will provide a formula to assist you in determining the best “Guidelines” based on your goals as well as how to maintain, and even accelerate the weight loss process.
One final note: The 80/20 Lifestyle means 80% of the time we follow the clean eating guidelines (outlined above), and the other 20% we celebrate life with our choice of a guilt free indulgence. I have discovered that this ratio of 80/20 is the perfect balance for long-term sustainable weight management, maximum nutritional health benefits and psychological stability. My clients typically enjoy two 20% Indulgent treats a week (Wednesday and Sunday tend to work great).
The 80/20 Lifestyle is more about consuming quality food than managing nutritional data. I have found the higher the quality of food consumed, the less need to monitor nutritional consumption. However, in phase three of my program we do pay closer attention to nutritional data in order to fine-tune results.
The chart to the right outlines my baseline nutritional guidelines for The 80/20 Lifestyle.
Reinventing your relationship with food and fitness requires a little knowledge, a lot of commitment and a willingness to go beyond your current circumstance.
It is an honor that you are considering The 80/20 Lifestyle System as your forever diet. Please visit and like my Facebook page for more on The 80/20 Lifestyle, fitness tips and staying in the right mindset for success.
Until next time… LIVE INSPIRED!
Robin Shea xoxo